The UNU-FTP works to establish relationships with key national fisheries institutions in our partner countries. It is through cooperation with these organizations that we select our fellows for the 6-month training course. The UNU-FTP uses the following criteria when selecting partner countries:
- The country must be designated as a developing country by the United Nations Development Programme.
- Fisheries should play an important role in the national or regional economy.
- The country must be engaged in expansion of their fisheries and/or the development of an export-orientated fisheries sector.
- The fisheries policy of the country has to be clear with a strategic plan and a vision for the fishing industry.
- Fisheries projects should be ongoing, sponsored by donor countries and/or international agencies.