Performance Management and Leadership 2011
for Managers of Fishermen Associations, Malaysia
2011 (5 days)
- Helgi Gestsson
- Thor Asgeirsson
- Ogmundur Knutsson
- Company Management
- Malaysian Fisheries Development Authority (LKIM)
- University of Akureyri
The goal of the course was to develop and strengthen Area Fishermen Associations (AFAs) in their role of improving livelihoods of their members.
The course focused on improving the skills of AFAs managers and chairmen with the aim to help them understand their roles in improving the AFA’s operation and how members of their organisation can contribute to the success and sustainability of the AFAs.
The course covered the main issues in the managerial aspects of operating a successful fishermen association in Malaysia. The course focused on changes in the world fishing industry and the importance of participating in such developments with respect to how AFAs react to different needs of their stakeholders. The common thread was the value chain in fisheries and the role of the AFAs.
Special consideration was given to the following issues:
- The basic elements of a value chain and how they affect value creation
- The role of the AFAs and the managers’ understanding of their role
- Management tools commonly used in organizing and in operation of AFAs.
- Organizational changes
- Goals and performance management
- Management style and its effectiveness